23 May, 2013

Spruce Goose

Hi all
I would like to share with the the first photos I ever took with a DSLR. Olympus E-510 was my 1st DSLR, small and beautiful camera with superb lenses. It is a pity that Olympus no longer support their 4/3 DSLR line...
I arrived in Portland, and looked for activities for the weekend. I learnt that one of the most interesting Space & Aviation US Museum is located not far from my place, so I decided to pay a visit to the Evergreen Museum located in the heart of the Willamette Valley, Oregon.
Olympus E-510, 14mm, ISO100
The weather was fantastic, clear sky and warm temperatures:
Olympus E-510, 14mm, ISO100
The key attraction of this museum is for sure the once largest airplane ever built: the Spruce Goose:
 
This huge airplane was designed and built by Howard Hughes to address the need for supplying UK during WWII as vessels were targeted by the German U-boats.
However it was completed too late, and after performing a single flight was stored for decades.
 
It had 8 engines that needed in order to lift this beast to the air, to save weight and also as steel was scarce, it was built from lightweight wood.
 
The museum has more attractions such as NASA's experimental aircraft:
 
Space capsules and more:
 
So, it is highly recommended to visit Evergreen Museum if you're around 

Roni






No comments:

Post a Comment